These Soft Vegan Lemon Cookies are gluten-free, paleo, and low carb! High in calcium, only 44 calories per cookie, and you just need 8 simple ingredients to make them!
Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Cookies Ingredients
Similar to my Lemon Baked Oatmeal, you only need 8 simple ingredients to make these vegan gluten-free lemon cookies. Technically, you only need 7 because lemon zest and lemon juice both come from one lemon, but I digress.
Adding Some Protein: I used plain non-fat greek yogurt to boost the protein and add a moistening ingredient to this cookie recipe (I do this same trick in my Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Skillet). You can use whatever yogurt you have on hand! Use a plant-based yogurt if vegan.
Easy to Make: You just need one mixing bowl and a bowl for your lemon juice to make these cookies! Just mix all your ingredients together and scoop them into cookies on your cookie sheet, and you’re in business.
Taste & Texture: These gluten-free lemon cookies are soft with the perfect amount of chewiness thanks to tapioca flour. You can learn all about tapioca flour and how to bake with it here. The lemon flavor really shines through and goes wonderfully with the honey or maple syrup.
Fun Lemon Cookie Add-Ins
You can totally jazz these lemon cookies up by adding some of these optional ingredients:
Poppyseeds– Rich in folate, thiamin, and essential minerals. Read more.
Shredded Unsweetened Coconut or Coconut Flakes– I also love this on my pancakes!
¾ - 1 tsp Plant Based Milk (or Milk of Choice or Water)
1½ tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
½ tsp Fresh Lemon Zest
Opt: ⅓ tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. and line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
3. Next, add in all wet ingredients and mix until cookie dough forms.
4. Using a small cookie scoop, place cookies on baking sheet (should make about 9 smaller cookies). Gently flatten down cookies with your fingers until about ½ inch thick.
5. Bake at 350 F. for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden and set on top. Optional: While cookies bake, make Lemon Cream Cheese Icing by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and mixing until smooth using a fork, electric hand mixer or standing mixer (I prefer using a fork because it’s such a small amount of icing). Just make sure cream cheese is very soft (See Note 1).
6. Let cookies cool completely to allow almond flour to set (around 10 minutes). Drizzle or spread lemon cream cheese icing on top of cookies and serve! Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for 3 months.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing: If you want your icing to be a little thicker, add less liquid and store in the refrigerator to firm up a bit before frosting cookies. You can also add a little cornstarch or tapioca starch to thicken it.
Cream Cheese Icing Sweetener: I have not tested the cream cheese icing with honey or any other sweetener. Organic powder sugar will work well though. Let me know what you try and how it turns out!
Tapioca Flour Sub: You can sub 2 Tbs cornstarch for the tapioca flour. The cookies don’t turn out as fluffy, but still equally delicious! I highly recommend using tapioca flour though. It's very affordable!
Use code "shh20" for FREE SHIPPING off your online nut-butter orders at Georgia Grinders!
1 cookie without icing Amount Per Serving:Calories: 44Total Fat: 2.3gCarbohydrates: 5.6gNet Carbohydrates: 5.2gFiber: .4gSugar: 4.1gProtein: 1g
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your recipe creation! Please leave a star rating and or comment! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!