Looking for a fun way to use that probiotic kefir you have on hand? Look no further! This Healthy Probiotic Protein Ice Cream will be your new go-to! The flavor possibilities for this ice cream are endless (this one is mint chocolate chip). This recipe is nut-free, vegan friendly, and made without eggs or refined sugar!
Kefir Ice Cream No Eggs
I searched long and hard for a healthy ice cream recipe without eggs, and let me tell you… it’s hard to find one! Most homemade ice cream recipes require tons of egg yolks! Gladly, I found an article that shared the secret of how you can use cornstarch to make silky, creamy, ice cream with no eggs! I tried it, and this method worked perfectly! I love this ice cream hack because now, my protein ice cream can easily be made vegan!
Kefir Ice Cream Recipe
So, I had some kefir in my fridge for the longest time and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what to do with it! I didn’t want to bake it into one of my healthy baked oatmeals, or healthy s’mores cookies. The major reason being that heating kefir (or any probiotics for that matter) ultimately KILLS all that good bacteria. I wanted to harness and preserve the power of the gut-healing probiotics found in kefir. Then, it hit me… ICE CREAM! Well, the ice cream didn’t hit me, that would be a mess, but the idea hit me.
I am sooooo happy with the results of my kefir ice cream experiment! Here’s why:
Creamy, rich texture! This is thanks to the cornstarch we add!
Packed with protein (I talk about the protein ingredients we use down below!)
Tastes like store bought healthy ice cream but it’s WAY CHEAPER
Heat up your half and half or milk of choice and dissolve the cornstarch in it.
Stir together the rest of your ingredients and then mix in the cooled milk!
Turn on ice cream maker with frozen bowl and slowly pour in ice cream mixture.
Let churn for 30 minutes
Serve immediately or let firm up in the freezer 1-3 hours.
I cannot wait for you to give this Protein Ice Cream Recipe a try! Please snap a picture and share it with me! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day and encourages me to keep creating new recipes for you!
Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream Recipe (Using Kefir + No Eggs!)
Looking for a fun way to use that probiotic kefir you have on hand? Look no further! This Healthy Probiotic Protein Ice Cream will be your new go-to! The flavor possibilities for this ice cream are endless (this one is mint chocolate chip) and this recipe is nut-free, vegan friendly, and made without eggs or refined sugar!
2. To a small saucepan, heat the half and half on medium low heat until slightly warm. Then, add in the cornstarch and salt, stirring continuously until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
3. To a large bowl, add the greek yogurt, protein powder, maple syrup, kefir, and peppermint extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Once the milk mixture has cooled (make sure it’s at least room temperature so that the heat doesn’t kill the probiotics in the yogurt and kefir), slowly add it to the yogurt mixture and whisk until smooth. Add more sweetener if desired.
5. Remove frozen ice cream bowl from freezer, place in ice cream maker, and turn it on. Then, slowly pour in the protein ice cream mixture. Allow to churn for around 30 minutes. Add in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips after about 20 minutes when the ice cream has thickened and is almost done (you can also fold them in after turning off ice cream maker).
6. Scoop ice cream out of bowl with rubber spatula. Eat right away for a soft serve or freeze in a loaf pan at least 1.5 hours. Remove from freezer, scoop, serve, and enjoy! If frozen solid, defrost on counter 10 minutes before serving.
Make this Protein Ice Cream Vegan: Swap the half and half for a dairy-free milk of choice, swap the kefir for coconut milk kefir, and use a plant-based protein powder.
Protein Powder: Any protein powder works! If using already sweetened and flavored protein powder, adjust the maple syrup/sweetener to taste. I use an unflavored grass-fed whey protein powder for this recipe.
Use code "shh20" for FREE SHIPPING off your online nut-butter orders at Georgia Grinders!
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your recipe creation! Please leave a star rating and or comment! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!