Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream Recipe (Using Kefir + No Eggs!)
Looking for a fun way to use that probiotic kefir you have on hand? Look no further! This Healthy Probiotic Protein Ice Cream will be your new go-to! The flavor possibilities for this ice cream are endless (this one is mint chocolate chip). This recipe is nut-free, vegan friendly, and made without eggs or refined sugar!
Kefir Ice Cream No Eggs
I searched long and hard for a healthy ice cream recipe without eggs, and let me tell you… it’s hard to find one! Most homemade ice cream recipes require tons of egg yolks! Gladly, I found an article that shared the secret of how you can use cornstarch to make silky, creamy, ice cream with no eggs! I tried it, and this method worked perfectly! I love this ice cream hack because now, my protein ice cream can easily be made vegan!
Kefir Ice Cream Recipe
So, I had some kefir in my fridge for the longest time and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what to do with it! I didn’t want to bake it into one of my healthy baked oatmeals, or healthy s’mores cookies. The major reason being that heating kefir (or any probiotics for that matter) ultimately KILLS all that good bacteria. I wanted to harness and preserve the power of the gut-healing probiotics found in kefir. Then, it hit me… ICE CREAM! Well, the ice cream didn’t hit me, that would be a mess, but the idea hit me.
I am sooooo happy with the results of my kefir ice cream experiment! Here’s why:
- Creamy, rich texture! This is thanks to the cornstarch we add!
- Packed with protein (I talk about the protein ingredients we use down below!)
- Tastes like store bought healthy ice cream but it’s WAY CHEAPER
- So easy to make!
- Loaded with gut-healthy probiotics
I do love my recipe for banana ice cream I made to smush in between my no-bake cookie dough ice cream sandwiches, BUT sometimes you just want ice cream to taste like ice cream and not banana, ya know?
Homemade Protein Ice Cream Recipe
This healthy ice cream is a double whammy: Probiotic and Protein Packed! What’s not to love?!
Greek Yogurt and Protein Powder Ice Cream
There are two sources of amazing probiotics and protein found in this homemade healthy ice cream.
- Greek Yogurt (Read about the benefits of greek yogurt!)
- Kefir (Read about why kefir is good for you)
If you’re looking for how to make this ice cream vegan, check out Note 2 in this recipe! There are just 3 simple swaps you can do to make this protein powder ice cream vegan!
How to Make Protein Ice Cream
You know I’m all about those simple recipes, what mom isn’t? If you’ve made my healthy lava cakes or no-bake chocolate almond butter bars, this ice cream is just as easy!
- Place ice cream bowl in the freezer to freeze fro at least 24 hours. I use this cuisinart ice cream maker and LOVE it!
- Heat up your half and half or milk of choice and dissolve the cornstarch in it.
- Stir together the rest of your ingredients and then mix in the cooled milk!
- Turn on ice cream maker with frozen bowl and slowly pour in ice cream mixture.
- Let churn for 30 minutes
- Serve immediately or let firm up in the freezer 1-3 hours.
I cannot wait for you to give this Protein Ice Cream Recipe a try! Please snap a picture and share it with me! Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day and encourages me to keep creating new recipes for you!
Happy Protein Ice Cream Churnin’!
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
PIN FOR LATER
Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream Recipe (Using Kefir + No Eggs!)
Looking for a fun way to use that probiotic kefir you have on hand? Look no further! This Healthy Probiotic Protein Ice Cream will be your new go-to! The flavor possibilities for this ice cream are endless (this one is mint chocolate chip) and this recipe is nut-free, vegan friendly, and made without eggs or refined sugar!
- 1 Cup Half And Half (Can sub any milk)
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch (Can sub arrowroot powder or tapioca flour)
- ⅛ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- ½ Cup Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (Can sub a dairy-free yogurt)
- 2 Scoops (about ¾ cup) Unflavored Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder (Or protein powder of choice, plant-based if vegan)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup (Honey will probably work too) (Add more or less depending on desired sweetness)
- 1¾ Cup Kefir (See Note 1 for Vegan/Dairy-Free Option)
- 2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chunks (I use this dairy-free brand)
1. Ice cream maker bowl has to be in freezer at least 24 hours. I use this 2 quart Cuisinart Ice cream maker and love it!
2. To a small saucepan, heat the half and half on medium low heat until slightly warm. Then, add in the cornstarch and salt, stirring continuously until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
3. To a large bowl, add the greek yogurt, protein powder, maple syrup, kefir, and peppermint extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Once the milk mixture has cooled (make sure it’s at least room temperature so that the heat doesn’t kill the probiotics in the yogurt and kefir), slowly add it to the yogurt mixture and whisk until smooth. Add more sweetener if desired.
5. Remove frozen ice cream bowl from freezer, place in ice cream maker, and turn it on. Then, slowly pour in the protein ice cream mixture. Allow to churn for around 30 minutes. Add in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips after about 20 minutes when the ice cream has thickened and is almost done (you can also fold them in after turning off ice cream maker).
6. Scoop ice cream out of bowl with rubber spatula. Eat right away for a soft serve or freeze in a loaf pan at least 1.5 hours. Remove from freezer, scoop, serve, and enjoy! If frozen solid, defrost on counter 10 minutes before serving.
- Make this Protein Ice Cream Vegan: Swap the half and half for a dairy-free milk of choice, swap the kefir for coconut milk kefir, and use a plant-based protein powder.
- Protein Powder: Any protein powder works! If using already sweetened and flavored protein powder, adjust the maple syrup/sweetener to taste. I use an unflavored grass-fed whey protein powder for this recipe.
Use code "shh20" for FREE SHIPPING off your online nut-butter orders at Georgia Grinders!
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your delicious recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating and or comment! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!
There are affiliate links on this site. I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting Secretly Healthy Home!
I love mint choco chip ice cream but it doesn’t like me. This is a great alternative! I unfortunately made it with pepperment flavoring which made it very bitter. I made it again with regular mint flavoring and it made all the difference. Thank you for the healthy alternative recipes. BTW, I am distracted easily and heated my milk a little too warm and ended up with corn starch rivals. I paid much closer attention the second time around and the result was very yummy.
Hi Shay! I’m so glad you made it again and didn’t give up on it! Yay!!! So glad you love it!!!! 🙂 Thanks for making it and sharing your success with me. Happy healthy dessert making!