You only need 4 ingredients to make this easy homemade healthy Nutella! This rich chocolate spread is made with real hazelnuts, and cacao powder, and sweetened with pure maple syrup. The perfect chocolate spread with HALF the calories as store-bought Nutella.
There are many amazing things about this homemade nutella, but one of the best is there’s no added oil in this recipe! This makes our healthy nutella much lower in fat and calories (which means you can eat more of it right??) Plus there is a superfood option! You can add in some maca powder for an extra superfood boost. If you’re wondering what maca powder is, I explained it in my “What’s In My Healthy Pantry” IGTV video! Definitely a good watch if you like babies and learning about healthy foods.
I love making nutrition comparison charts to visually show how much healthier my recipes are as opposed to their unhealthy counterparts. I did this for my Healthy Carrot Cake too. Check out these differences for the nutella!!!
Does homemade nutella need to be refrigerated? Refrigerating homemade nutella is not required; however, I store mine in the fridge to help it last longer. It will last up to a month in the fridge. Some recipes say homemade nutella will separate and harden in the fridge, but I have not had this problem with my recipe. If you do store your DIY nutella in the fridge and it hardens, just set it on the counter for a few hours or heat it in the microwave carefully for about 20 seconds.
Can you store homemade nutella at room temperature? Absolutely. Store homemade nutella at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more.
Can you freeze homemade nutella? Freezing homemade nutella is a great option. Store nutella it in an airtight container, jar, or resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
I cannot wait for you to give this Homemade Healthy Nutella a try! Please snap a picture and share it with me!
Seeing your kitchen creations makes my day and encourages me to keep creating new recipes for you!
You only need 4 ingredients to make this easy homemade healthy nutella! This rich chocolate spread is made with real hazelnuts, cacao powder, and sweetened with pure maple syrup. The perfect chocolate spread with HALF the calories as store-bought nutella.
Prep Time5 minutes
Total Time5 minutes
1 Cup Roasted, Peeled and Unsweetened Hazelnuts (See Note 1)
1. In a food processor or high-speed blender, blend hazelnuts for 5-7 minutes until smooth and a little runny (you will hear a sloshing noise). Scrape down sides when needed.
2. Heat water in microwave-safe mug for about 20 seconds or until lukewarm (not boiling). Add in cacao powder (and maca powder if using) and mix until dissolved and smooth.
3. Add cacao mixture and maple syrup to food processor and blend for another 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides when needed.
4. If texture is too thick, add in more water in small increments until you get desired consistency. (Don’t worry if Nutella clumps together at first. Just continue to add water slowly and it should get runnier).
5. Transfer to a jar or airtight container and store at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more. Store in the refrigerator for up to a month or freeze for up to 3 months.
Sweetness & Liquid Amount: You can add more maple syrup to get desired sweetness. The more maple syrup you add, the less water you will need. Just add water to food processor as needed (1 tsp at a time) to get desired nutella thickness.
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your recipe creation! Please leave a star rating and or comment! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!