Need a simple, healthy snack that’s easy to make and you can store in the freezer for months?! You’ve come to the right place. Oh, and these Gluten-Free Almond Joy Protein Bites taste like the candy bar!
A Candy Bar For a Snack?!
If you clicked on this recipe, I’m sure you’re a fan of the Almond Joy candy bar. Chewy, sweet, coconut, mixed with crunchy, salty almonds, all surrounded by rich milk chocolate. How can you go wrong with that combo?!
Okay, WAIT! Before you go running to Walmart to pick up an Almond Joy candy bar, keep reading.
5 Superfoods in these Gluten-Free Almond Joy Bites
I already know if you clicked on this that you want to know the secret ingredients that make these snack bites taste like an Almond Joy but with ALL wholesome ingredients. AND on top of that… how each bite is packed with 5 superfoods?! Hold on… I didn’t mention that yet did I? Well there is my first secret… 5 superfoods, people!
How to Make Almond Joy Balls
Here are the 5 superfoods you need to make these gluten-free almond joy protein balls:
During my first few weeks as a new momma, I was so busy taking care of our little guy and myself that I seriously had no time or energy to step foot in the kitchen. You mommas out there get me. This was all fine and dandy because our amazing friends and family prepared and brought us meals. Bless their hearts! There was still one problem though… I was a breastfeeding momma…meaning, I was hungry ALL THE TIME.
Protein Bite Angel
Then, God brought an angel to my life…my aunt from Ohio! She shares my love for all things secretly healthy and she made 3 large bags of protein bites/balls for me. I was able to store them in the freezer which was amazing because it kept them fresh. Between doing all the newborn laundry (still an unknown phenomenon how tiny babies produce so much laundry) and taking care of our little guy and myself, hunger would strike and I had no time to whip anything up! I would reach for these protein bites for a quick snack and they were delicious and perfect. HALLELUJAH!
The Secretly Healthy Home Almond Joy Recipe
I can’t express how much those healthy bites meant to me… they were my lifeline as a new momma. Also, the actual tears I shed (postpartum hormones) when all 3 bags were gone after about 2 weeks. After wiping my tears, I finally got into the kitchen and made my very own protein bite recipe and that is what I’m sharing with you today. They’re just too good to keep to myself!
That was the inspiration behind these healthy bites. A simple recipe. And most importantly, a CONVENIENT healthy snack for all you busy souls out there.
What’s Exactly in these Healthy Almond Joy Bites?
Protein + Vitamins
Buckle up, because just one healthy bite packs a whopping 7.6% Calcium, 4.8% Iron, 68.1mg Potassium, 1.3% Vitamin A, and 1.5% Vitamin C. And are only 130 calories with 4.2g of protein! Now, how does that compare to your candy bar?
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly until everything is evenly combined and there are no clumps of peanut butter.
3. If the mixture is too dry, add in 1 Tbs of water at a time until dough sticks together.
4. Use a cookie scoop (or your hands) to form the dough into bites (about 2 Tbs of dough each). Place bites onto parchment-lined cookie sheet (makes about 40 bites) and place in freezer at least 15 minutes until set.
6. Transfer to a storage bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 4 months. Or store in the fridge for up to a 2 weeks (I eat these straight from the freezer).
1. Oats: Most Oats are Gluten-free but check your packaging to make sure if you are strictly gluten-free.
2. Omit Protein Powder: If you omit the protein powder you will need to adjust the water amount. You probably won't need as much water, so just add 1/4 Cup and then more if needed.
3. Water Amount: You may need more or less water depending on your protein powder. Some protein powders absorb more liquid than others. Add water as needed in small amounts until the protein bite dough sticks together.
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your protein bites! I love seeing your kitchen creations so please leave a comment and rate the recipe if you make it! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!
There are affiliate links on this site. I do earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you the buyer. Thank you for supporting Secretly Healthy Home!
Depending on the ingredients you personally use, nutrition may not be 100% the same
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to tag @secretlyhealthyhome on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest with a picture of your recipe creation! Please leave a star rating and or comment! It really helps support me and encourages me to keep making recipes for you!